Processed with VSCO with g3 preset[/caption] We recently had a few clients that visited us for their first time fly fishing. They were excited and couldn’t wait to get out on the water to catch fish. Before we got out on the water we had to go over a few things so that their experience on the water would be a good experience. Here are a few things to remember when you head out for the first time on the water.
- Learn from a professional. Go to your local fly shop or guide service and have them teach you the basics.
- Cast. Learn how to cast. Your time on the water will be much more enjoyable if you can get the fly to the fish. Go to a park and really practice some distance and accuracy.
- Learn the entomology basics. Learn what bugs are in your water so you can match the hatch.
- Hire a guide for your first trip to the water. This will help you so much. The guide will get you dialed in with your casting, let you know which bugs to use and where to find fish.
- Have fun. You will have so much more fun if you hire a guide or go with a friend who knows what they’re doing. It will be frustrating so be patient.